· Ensembles may not appear on the WVMEA Conference program in successive programs.
· Ensembles may submit recordings for either traditional honor ensemble or X honor ensemble, but not both.
· Middle and high school ensembles are encouraged to submit a recording.
Submissions (next page)
· Applications must be received six weeks prior to the conference. This window of time ensures that selected directors/ensembles will have time to make logistical arrangements associated with traveling to the conference.
· All applications must be submitted on this form by Friday, Feb. 2 at 9 PM. Questions may be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Directors will receive electronic confirmation of receipt.
· Band recordings must include three selections of representative band repertoire. One selection must be a march.
· Chorus recordings must include three selections of representative choral repertoire. In accordance with the WVVMA by-laws, high school honor ensemble choirs MUST have participating students in the West Virginia All-State High School Chorus.
· Orchestra recordings must include three selections of representative orchestral repertoire.
· Recordings must be made in the same school year in which the application is submitted.
· Submissions must be an mp3 format. WVMEA will not accept any other file formats! Make sure to list selections in the order in which you want them heard by judges.
· A completed honor ensemble application must include all of the following components:
1. a completed application (next page)
2. three mp3 recordings (uploaded on this form)
3. a copy of a recent concert program and a list of potential repertoire to be performed if selected. Repertoire for the honor ensemble performance at the conference must be approved by the executive board. (uploaded on this form)
4. a 50 word professional biography and an electronic head shot on behalf of the director to be included in the conference program if selected. (submitted on this form)
5. a $25 application, payable by credit card. The application fee is used to supplement the WVMEA scholarship fund. A receipt will be sent via email upon submission of this form.
· (NEW) Judges shall be selected from out of state professional music educators and ensemble directors. The adjudication panel shall consist of two band, two choral, and one orchestra judge. All judges will score every honor ensemble submission, regardless of category.
· Judges will use the adopted scoring rubric for band, choral, and orchestral submissions. These completed rubrics will be made available to those submitting.
· Invitations for the conference program will be issued based on the ensemble’s averaged score.
· Ensembles must have an average score of 90 out of 100 to be considered for honor group selection.
· The Honors Selection Chair will forward submissions to the judges electronically without school or director identification.
· (NEW) Judges will select one HS band, one HS choir, and one orchestra (high school or middle school), and one Middle School (band or choir). Any unfilled slot will be selected based on the next highest eligible average score (90 and above) regardless of ensemble category. The total number of Honor Ensembles selected will not exceed four.
· The Honors Ensemble Selection Chair will notify the directors via phone or email of the judge's decisions five weeks before the conference.
· Repertoire for the honor ensemble performance at the conference must be submitted and approved by the WVMEA Executive Board.
· Each group selected is responsible for printing a program to be distributed at the conference.
· Honor ensembles will be scheduled to perform a concert (45 minutes maximum-including stage set-up and exit) at the annual WVMEA conference.